Thursday, June 18, 2009

Studies depress me

I've had it with studies. First, the experts declared that housework is likely to make you depressed.

Now, a different set of experts has concluded that doing housework can help prevent depression and anxiety.

A new study by the British Journal of Sports found those who did vigorous housework weekly were 20 percent less likely to suffer from mental health problems. Of course vigorous housework is exercise, and it's common knowledge that exercise helps alleviate depression and anxiety.

Otherwise, I'm pretty skeptical about their findings. On the one hand, living in a cesspool can bum you out. But, on the other hand, cleaning toilets and mopping floors can be a bummer too.

I am waiting for an expert to declare that vacuuming and sweeping don't make you happy or depressed. They just help you keep your house clean.

2 comments:

Bernie Bernstein said...

It's Me, Mom - I don't care what the experts say. I know when I come home to a clean house (whether I've cleaned it or someone else has), I'm happy. Something about clean makes me smile.

Dori said...

Um, as I am your resident expert on everything, I'll confirm your sneaking suspicion: Housework results, generally, in a cleaner house. It also generally results in your having less time to do actual fun things that truly make you happy.