Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pop Pop's Not-So-Secret Recipe

Like most people I know, when I spend time around my parents, I revert to being a child. No whining or temper tantrums so far, but I have become quite passive (my parents might even say "lazy").

I had grand ambitions of cooking during my stay in Hilton Head, but it's simply too easy to sit back and let my folks cook for me (or take me and the kids out to dinner). And since their house is so clean and my mom is constantly changing the linens and doing laundry, it's easy to pretend I'm at a hotel.

The dining room at this "hotel" is far from gourmet, but the food is quite servicable and the price is right!

The other night, my dad (who the kids call "Pop Pop") whipped up his favorite tomato sauce, which he served with chicken tortellini (no, that is not my dad in the accompanying photo). The same sauce can also be used for a cacciatore-style chicken or shrimp dish.

Pop Pop's Tomato Sauce

1/2 cup finely chopped shallots
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) Italian-style diced tomatoes
1 can (6 oz.) tomato paste
1/2 cup dry white wine
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried basil
2 tablespoons chopped parsley
salt and pepper
shredded romano or parmesan cheese

In a 10- to 12-inch frying pan over high heat, stir shallots and garlic in olive oil until shallots are limp, about 5 minutes.

Stir in tomatoes (with juice), tomato paste, wine, oregano, and basil. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, about 5 minutes.

Stir sauce into cooked pasta. Sprinkle with parsley, add salt, pepper and cheese to taste.

Simple (especially when my dad is cooking it for me) and tasty too!

No comments: