Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Feng Shui Me

I've already tried attaining enlightenment and finding inner peace through housework, but I never experienced the joy in every moment of doing the dishes.

So clearly it's time for a different approach to housework...

Feng Shui devotees claim that tidying up can shift the energy in your home. Practiced in China for over five thousand years, Feng Shui is based on the Taoist concept that everything is comprised of energy called Chi. When the energy in an environment is not flowing properly, it can cause disharmony. Seems reasonable enough.

Feng Shui works to balance this energy in order to achieve greater productivity, happiness and health. According to some devotees, clutter-clearing will feel as powerful as a therapy session and -- even better -- it's free.

According to Feng Shui practitioners, if you are dirty and disorganized, your various energies will stagnate. I'm pretty skeptical of anything that registers on my New Age radar, but I have to say that my mind is a lot clearer when our apartment is cleared of unnecessary crap.

Feng Shui fans also claim that cleaning and organizing helps keeps all the energies flowing, including energy for sex, money, career and health. Sounds good to me.

I’m ready to get the energy flowing right now – if only I could muster the energy to get off the couch.

No comments: