Sunday, June 7, 2009

How hard could it be to make pancakes?

It's a Sunday tradition in many homes -- pancakes for breakfast. In our house, it's always Avo who makes the kids pancakes. But this morning, Avo left early to do the weekly food shopping.

"Do you know how to make pancakes, mom?" my 7-year-old daughter Jesse asked.

"Um, well, I've never made them, but how hard could it be, right?"

"I can help out," she said.

How could I let her down? Did I really want her growing up thinking that her mom couldn't follow the directions on the back of the Aunt Jemima box?

Aunt Jemima Pancakes

1 cup Aunt Jemima mix
3/4 cup milk
1 tablespoon oil
1 egg

1. Heat skillet over medium-low heat or electric griddle to 375 degrees F.

2. Combine all ingredients; stir with a wire whisk until large lumps disappear. Over-mixing may toughen pancakes. Let stand 1 to 2 minutes to thicken.

3. Pour slightly less than 1/4 cup batter for each pancake onto lightly greased skillet.

4. Turn when pancakes bubble and bottoms are golden brown.

I appreciated the perfect pancake tips on the back of the box, but it would have been helpful if I had read them BEFORE cooking the pancakes.

- For thicker pancakes, use a little less milk. For thinner pancakes, use a little more milk.

- Do not beat out eh characteristic lumps in the batter; over-mixing will toughen pancakes.

- Lightly grease skillet or griddle with solid shortening instead of oil, butter or margarine; solid shortening does not burn as easily. (Note to self: Find out what solid shortening is).

- Turn pancakes only once; over-handling toughens them. (Again, I should have read this tip before cooking the pancakes)

So you're wondering how it went? Well, the good news is that I actually managed to make my kids pancakes (from a mix, but still impressive for a beginner). Of course, I flipped a couple of pancakes too soon and they flopped into a doughy mush (and I then tossed them in the trash).

But the kids seemed impressed.

"They're not as good as dad's," said Jesse. "But almost. You just have to practice a bit more. Are you proud of yourself?"

Yes!

Just as I was cleaning up, Avo arrived home.

I guess I got a bit too cocky. I was boasting about my perfectly browned pancakes when the box slipped from my hands and before I knew what was happening, my clothes and the floor were coated with a light dust of powdered pancake mix.

"Well, now you can practice your sweeping!" said Avo.

Eggo waffles for breakfast tomorrow.

4 comments:

Bernie Bernstein said...

Hi Hon,

You asked me to post a weekly menu so here is the one for the week coming up. Remember, Paula, it is flexible. I am not quite as anal as you think.

Love ya,

Dad

Monday - Grilled salmon, rice and peas. Teriyaki sauce for Mom and Korean Stir-Fry Sauce for me.

Tuesday - Publix (my favorite market)pre-roasted chicken, Knorr chicken flavored pasta sides and broccoli.

Wednesday - Roasted pork tenderloin, mashed potatoes and snap green beans.

Thursday - Lettuce and tomato salad with home made tarragon chicken salad.

Friday - A new try. Sauteed local shrimp with mushrooms,garlic,lemon juice and green onions. Have not decided on the rest yet.

Saturday - Veggie burgers and Dad's famous "oven fried" potatoes.

Sunday - eating out. Yea!!!

Bernie Bernstein said...

IMM - Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm still not sure what to use when the recipe says to use solid shortening? I always thought it meant "Crisco" which I never use. I even Googled it, and I'm still not sure. If you find out, let me know.

Undomesticated Me said...

Your menu looks good -- and fairly easy. I'd skip shrimp night since I'm not a fan of shellfish (not for Kosher reasons). What kind of veggie burgers do you buy?

And where are you eating tonight?!

Bernie Bernstein said...

Boca Burgers or Morningstar farms. I usually look for the lowest fat content.

We ate at Reilley's Pub. Nice place for you and the kids although I think the burger at Main Street Cafe was better. We can do both.