Friday, July 31, 2009

My So-Called Undomesticated Life

I have been a fan of Claire Danes since I first saw her on "My So-Called Life," in which she played Angela Chase, an awkward, sensitive high school girl trying to find her place in the world.

Now she's all grown up and engaged to Hugh Dancy, a hot young British actor I'm embarrassed to admit I've never heard of before.

Why am I writing about celeb gossip on Undomesticated Me?

Because Ms. Danes recently surprised herself by announcing publicly that once she and Mr. Dancy marry, she will take on domestic responsibilities (not sure if they'll hire a cleaning person).

"I think back to the 10-year-old me, and it's amazing that I'm ever prepared to do the washing up because it didn't used to be my favorite thing in the world. Housework is not my raison d'etre," said Ms. Danes.

As a former entertainment journalist, I know that it's likely that this quote was taken out of context. Still, it has the ring of truth to it.

Certainly, when I think back to the 10-year-old-me, washing up was not my favorite thing in the world. Is there a ten year old in the world -- or grown-up for that matter -- who actually loves housework?

I get a kick out of the fact that not only is Ms. Danes discussing housework at a movie premiere, but she coined a phrase worthy of being printed on a T-shirt.

I may steal the line for my new mantra: "Housework is not my raison d'etre."

Plus, I like having an excuse to say "raison d'etre."

2 comments:

marymac said...

TRUE DAT! Now if I can just find someone to do it for me...

kedvenc internetes regényem said...

Thanks forr this