Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Lazy Undomesticated Me

It's my parents' fault that I haven't been blogging regularly this week. They've pampered me so much during my visit that I am too relaxed to blog.

Besides, what would I blog about? I haven't had to cook or clean since arriving more than a week ago. When we don't go out to dinner, they prepare something at home.

And my clothes seem to be magically cleaned and folded.

But, given that I'm in the South, I thought it only fitting to pay tribute to a regional favorite drink, iced tea.

My mom prefers the instant powdered mix, but I like the old-fashioned freshly brewed kind.

Here's how to make your own:

1. Place six tea bags (black or herbal) in a class measuring cup or ceramic teapot. Add 1/8 teaspoon baking soda (to soften the natural tannins that cause an acid or bitter taste).

2. Pour two cups of boiling (filtered) water over the tea bags (I use an electric kettle).

3. Cover and let steep for 15 minutes.

4. Remove the tea bags. Don't squeeze them since that will only add bitterness.

5. Pour into a two-quart pitcher (don't use glass or it might shatter) and add 6 cups of cold water. Sweeten with simple syrup (sugar water) if desired.

True Southerners like their tea very sweet, but I prefer just a touch of simple syrup and some lemon (fresh mint tastes good too).

Another personal fave is the Arnold Palmer, a blend of 1/2 iced tea and 1/2 lemonade.

Free refills for everyone!

1 comment:

Heather said...

I love the Arnold Palmer! Ice Tea is also yummy when mixed with limeade OR Pomegranate juice.

Thanks for the baking soda tip. I've never heard that before. I will definitely try it.