Sunday, October 4, 2009

In Love with Housework?

When I started this blog six months ago, my intention was to write about my hapless attempts to learn to cook and clean. Recently, I have been devoting my efforts almost entirely to cooking (much to Avo's chagrin).

Why? Cleaning is pretty boring and writing about cleaning is even more boring (unless you're writing about the political and personal issues involved in cleaning as in the recent anthology, Dirt, edited by Mindy Lewis).

Occasionally, however, I will continue to update you on cleaning-related issues and news. For instance, I just read about an incredible study -- or rather, I should say that the results of the study strained incredulity.

According to the study of 2,000 Britons, who were quizzed by cleaning materials firm Vileda, cleaning 20 minutes a day produces the same level of feel-good ­hormone serotonin as a new love.

And the reaction applies to both men and women, reports The Daily Express.

Psychologist Donna Dawson said: "It's the same feeling as sharing that first kiss. It make us feel good about ourselves."

The study also found that mopping was people's favorite chore.


Seriously? If cleaning produced the same level of serotonin as a first kiss, people would scour their floors a lot more. Personally, I can't stand mopping.

2 comments:

Kathy N. said...

I'm with you on cleaning in general, but I do have a wan fondness for mopping. Why? I think because when I mop it feels really clean. I feel a sense of accomplishment. When I do the dishes all I have is a dark sense of dread that soon, all too soon, there will be more.

And hey, come over to my blog, if you don't mind, to read about the Tooth Fairy's Close Call....

Undomesticated Me said...

I'll visit your blog now, Kathy. And I love the sense of accomplishment I get after cleaning but mops just seem so...dirty. I feel as if I'm just rubbing the dirt in.