Thursday, September 3, 2009

Salad #87

After my last failed experiment, I'm determined to successfully pull off #87. It sounds like a no-brainer crowd-pleaser:

87. Cold not-sesame noodles: Combine about a half-cup peanut butter with a tablespoon soy sauce and enough coconut milk to make the mixture creamy (about half a cup), along with garlic and chili flakes in a blender or food processor. Toss sauce with cooked and cooled noodles, a load of mint, Thai basil, and/or cilantro, and lime juice. Shredded cucumber and carrots optional.

My advice: don't put peanut butter in a blender. Stick with the food processor.

Also, I made a classic beginner's mistake -- I forgot to check that I had all of the ingredients before proceeding with the recipe (and I didn't feel like dragging the kids to the store). So I had to make do without garlic or lime juice (Avo accidentally bought lemons instead of limes).

Another mistake: instead of shredding the cucumber, I peeled it in long strips. Next time, I'll chop it or shred it (I skipped the carrots entirely).

Instead of Thai basil, I used "a load of mint" (as Bittman recommends) and lots of cilantro. Plus, I decided to top the salad with peanuts to add some crunch. That turned out to be a smart decision, although next time, I would crush the peanuts.

Despite my minor mistakes, the salad turned out to be quite tasty -- the fresh mint and cilantro helped to give it flavor (the garlic was sorely missed).

And now we've got fresh mint to make a Mojito.

4 comments:

Susan Elia MacNeal said...

i can help with the mojito - or mint julep - if you want.....

Susan Elia MacNeal said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy N. said...

Hi Paula! I'm glad the noodle salad was a success, especially after the tragedy of the smoked tofu salad! Your blog is definitely making me hungry!

Undomesticated Me said...

I'd love some help with the cocktails, Susan. And thanks for the good wishes, Kathy. I can use all of the support I can get in the kitchen!