Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Domesticated Cookies

I'm so proud of myself. Yesterday, desperate to entertain the little ones, I decided to whip up oatmeal chocolate chip cookies from scratch.

I followed the recipe on the box of the Old Wessex Scottish Style Oats container and adapted it to suit my own taste (substituting chocolate chips for raisins and/or nuts).

Undomesticated Me's Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies

2 1/2 cups uncooked Old Wessex Scottish Style Oats
1 1/2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup honey or maple syrup
3/4 cup softened margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1/2 cup Chocolate chips (I used Ghirardelli chocolate)

Heat oven to 375°F. Lightly coat cookie sheet with vegetable oil. Combine dry ingredients, mix well.

Mix honey, margarine, and vanilla until smooth. Add egg. Blend dry ingredients, mixing thoroughly. Stir in chocolate chips. Place rounded spoonfuls of blended ingredients onto cookie sheet. Bake for approximately 10 minutes. Cool. Eat. Enjoy.

What do you know? I didn't burn them.

They're actually pretty tasty -- and good for the digestive system too!

Avo gave them his thumb's up.

"You're becoming pretty domesticated, honey!"

Thanks, dear. I'm trying.

1 comment:

Bernie Bernstein said...

It's Me, Mom - The cookies sound great. Of course, I probably won't find your brand of oatmeal. Can you believe I have a copy of the "Nestle's Original Toll House Cookies," written in your own childish hand, in my recipe box? I think we made them when I was your Brownie leader in the early 70's.