Thursday, December 3, 2009

Color-Coding Crayola

As you all know, I've been on a domestication bender for the last six months or so. In addition to learning to cook and clean, I'm trying to just generally organize my life more smoothly (I say this as the timer for my laundry goes off and I'm pre-heating the oven for brownies!).

Jesse and Ruby are starting to get with the program. Ruby has always loved to clean. In fact, she often says that when she grows up she wants to be a cleaning woman (if she's not a "nail painter.") She's happiest when she can help me "fold" laundry, vacuum or unload the dishwasher. But, Jesse's notion of tidying up means tossing her candy wrappers in the trash.

Maybe all of my neatening efforts have gotten to Jesse because last night, she decided to color-code her enormous crayon collection and enlist Ruby as her helper. I was all for it. It gave us an excuse to weed out the nubby stumps of colored wax masquerading as crayons. Plus, it was a good way to kill time before bedtime.

Maybe I'll ask Jesse to color-code her clothes too -- it might be a good way to convince her to clean out her dresser.

2 comments:

Bernie Bernstein said...

It's Me, Mom - Good job girls! Why don't you put each color into a separate small baggie because once those rubber bands come off, you'll have to start sorting all over again. Just a suggestion from Gramma.

Kathy N. said...

This is an interesting topic. My mother loved to clean, and I always hated it. My mom gave up on trying to teach me, and I never learned. Looking back, I think my sister and I should have had a LOT more to do around the house. I think we were incredibly lazy! My husband is paying the price today! Poor guy.