Tuesday, April 27, 2010

It Takes a Village

Everybody knows that it takes a village to raise a child. But does it take a village to prepare dinner?

In our house, dinner is often a collaborative affair. For years, my husband, Avo, bore the full responsibility of meal preparation -- shopping, cooking, and cleaning (well, I'd occasionally chip in). But then when he landed a new job with later hours, I rose to the occasion and took over these household duties on weekdays while he ruled the kitchen on weekends. Now that I'm suddenly busy with work, he's happy to chip in (what a mensch!).

On Friday night, we pieced together a meal -- I roasted asparagus with olive oil and salt and pepper (always a safe, yummy bet) and he grilled buffalo burgers (the ones at Trader Joe's are the cheapest and the best). It wasn't anything fancy, but it was as satisfying as a gourmet meal at Chanterelle.

Friends have suggested that we form a dinner co-operative so we can all take turns preparing meals. The idea appeals to me, but the logistics overwhelm me. Just coordinating a play date seems tough enough these days since everybody is so overbooked.

In college, I lived in a co-operative where we all traded off on meal duties. Since I didn't know how to cook, I made the same thing every week -- falafel from a prepared mix. Now that I'm a bit more domesticated, I bet I could even try making falafel from scratch. And then Avo can make some tabbouleh to go with it. I'm ready for the kids to learn how to cook so they can pitch in too!

1 comment:

Kathy N. said...

I lived in a co-op in college and I loved it! I long for co-op living today. And I agree about the logistics. That's why I'd love to live in a small area with a few other families where logistics would be easier b/c we'd all be close by! I'm not quite sure how to progress towards my dream, though...anyway, glad that you've moved so far beyond falafal mix!