Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Muffin Meltdown

It was a muffin emergency. The first batch of muffins I made for Ruby's class' holiday celebration were passable, but I had to ditch the second batch, which were deflated and undercooked.

What to do?

Like any reasonable person, I trudged through the snow to the local bodega to pick up a pumpkin-flavored Pillsbury "Quick Bread" mix (hoping nobody would see me in my moment of shame).

I added milk, oil and eggs to the mix. The directions on the back of the box said I should "stir 50 to 75 strokes," but I admit I lost count after 35 or so.

The good news is that I managed to produce respectable looking pseudo-homemade muffins.

"My mom made these muffins," Ruby bragged to her classmates this morning.

I didn't let on that I had a little help from Pillsbury and the pre-K kids couldn't tell the difference.

But don't worry -- I haven't given up in my quest to make the perfect muffin from scratch.

Please send in your muffin making tips. Clearly, I could use some help!

3 comments:

Bernie Bernstein said...

It's Me, Mom - Don't tell anyone, but Dad and I love the Pillsbury Nut Bread and Muffin mix. Not quite like scratch, but in a pinch quite passable.

Tip: Use paper muffin cups in your cupcake tins. It makes it very easy to extract the muffins.

Kathy N. said...

I think you'll have no problem substituting and being brave when you have a few more batches under your belt. The right consistency for muffin/cake batter is something you learn to recognize, and, even though baking is a science there is a lot of variety in ingredients and proportions between different recipes. In the meantime, I grew up with Bisquick. I think you can make muffins with that, but I'm not sure!

Alma Schneider said...

Dear Muffin Meltdown,
I NEVER pay attention to the time the instructions say but I do keep checking with a toothpick in the center to make sure they are done. also, if they look messy or deflated, put some frosting on them to perk them up :-)
Love,
Alma