Sunday, May 17, 2009

Blame it on the dwarves


Perhaps I should blame my housework hang-ups on that classic 70s' agit prop “Free to Be You and Me," and in particular, on Carol Channing.

“Your mommy hates housework, your daddy hates housework, and I hate housework too. And when you grow up, so will you," Channing promised.

Channing's argument was persuasive. I immediately banished any thoughts of Snow White and the Seven Dwarves’ advice, “Just whistle while you work. And cheerfully together we can tidy up the place.” Grumpy sure didn’t seem so cheerful.

But where does that leave me now? Luckily, while visiting my aunt and uncle today, I came across a 1993 edition of Consumer Reports Books "How to Clean Practically Anything." In lieu of having someone to clean everything for me, I am hoping this handy volume might be the next best thing.

Since I went to see relatives today, I wasn't able to devote the requisite 15 minutes to domestic tasks (already with the excuses!). But I consider nabbing this book a major coup. I promise to dive into it tomorrow -- and report back to you.

No comments: